The Muslim Council of Britain is organising a national #VisitMyMosque day on Sunday 1st February 2015, where British mosques will open their doors to the general public.
Mosques will be sharing tea and cakes alongside an insight into the day-to-day goings on of a busy Muslim centre of worship.
Members of the community are there to get to know one another better and some may be on hand to answer questions about Muslims and Islam where this is possible. Local mosques will also be inviting inter-faith leaders as well, and all will be invited to come together to demonstrate unity and solidarity during what has been a tense time for faith communities.
A list of participating Mosques can be found below: (not full list)
– Balham Mosque, 47A Balham High Rd London, Tooting SW12 9AW
– Baab-ul-Ilm: 166 Shadwell Lane, Leeds, LS17 8AD
– Bolton Council of Mosques, 1 Vicarage Street, Bolton, BL3 5LE
– Didsbury Mosque: 271 Burton Road, West Didsbury, Manchester M20 2WA
http://didsburymosque.com Time: (4-6pm)
– East London Mosque, Whitechapel Road, London E1
– European Islamic Centre, Werneth House, 79 Manchester Rd, Oldham, Greater Manchester 0L8 4LN
– Finsbury Park Mosque, 7-11 St. Thomas Rd, London, N4 2QH
– Goodwood Islamic Centre, 60 Gamel Road, Leicester
– Hyderi Islamic Centre: 26 Estreham Road, Streatham, London. SW16 5PQ
– The Islamic Foundation, Islamic Foundation Library, Ratby Lane, Markfield, Leicestershire, LE67 9SY (Time: 12.30-3.30pm)
– Jami Mosque and Islamic Centre, 523-525 Coventry Road, Birmingham, B10 0LL (From 2-4 pm)
– Khizra Mosque, 425 Cheetham Hill Road, Manchester M8 0PF
– Makkah Masjid, 36 Thornville Road Leeds LS6 1JY, Leeds
– Masjis e Ghosia, Caroline Street, Bolton (1-2.30pm)
– Muslim Welfare House Sheffield, 10-12 Severn Road, Sheffield, S10 2SU
– Noor ul Islam Mosque, Halliwell Road, Bolton (1-2.30pm)
– Neeli Mosque, 25-27 Hare Street, Rochdale, OL11 1JL, Lancashire
– Oxford Islamic Information Centre, 8 Saint Omer Rd, Cowley Oxford OX43HB
– SICM (Shi’a Ithna’ashari Community of Middlesex), 39 Gloucester Road, Harrow, HA1 4PR
– Sri Lankan Muslim Cultural Centre (UK), 2 Whitefraires Avenue, Harrow, Middlesex HA3 5RN
– Tooting Islamic Centre, 145 Upper Tooting Rd, London SW17 7TJ
– Zainabiya Islamic Centre (Milton Keynes Jamaat): P.O. BOX 786, Peveral Drive, Granby, Milton Keynes, MK1 1NL
– Zakariyya Jaame Masjid, Peace Street, Bolton (1-2.30pm)
#VisitMyMosque day is part of a national initiative by Muslims to reach out to fellow Britons following tensions around terrorism. Many mosques have open door policies, and many have special set days to invite the local community around them. We celebrate these existing schemes as well. This is a pilot national event and we hope, based on feedback, to be repeating it again later in the year.
Please note: This is not the final list. This page is being updated regularly as more mosques confirm.
* A big thank you to Twitter user @kanzaahmed for suggesting the hashtag #VisitMyMosque